Although the best way to consume legal marijuana is through vapor or edibles (think of your lungs!), we’ve all been in a situation where we had some really dank weed and nothing to smoke it with. These are all classic options, but if you’re new to the world of cannabis, you just might learn a thing or two. Some of my personal favorites are the classic sweet smoke of an apple pipe and the much more impressive (and time-consuming) ice bong, which looks cool and effectively cools the smoke before it hits your lungs. When you find yourself without your favorite smoking device, turn to these creative ways to smoke with household items.
The fruit pipe is a sweet classic that takes little effort and keeps the inevitable smell to a minimum. The key is to have a firm fruit on hand--for instance, a banana would not work, but a pear or an apple would be perfect. This video tutorial is perfect because it doesn’t require anything but a toothpick, pen and the fruit of your choice.
Step 1: Make the bowl
- Remove the stem from the top of your fruit.
- Use the toothpick to poke a hole to the center of the fruit.
- Widen the bowl to your desired size.
Step 2: Make the chamber/mouthpiece
- Use the pen to poke a hole in the side of the fruit. You can use the outer part of the pen as a mouthpiece, or you can smoke directly from the hole in the fruit if you’re a pro and won’t set your face on fire.
That’s it! You can also do this with firm vegetables such as squash or eggplant if there aren’t any fruits on hand.
This is a clever hack from thebananacannon on imgur that anyone can do, as long as you can scrounge up a few fairly common tools and have some time to kill. To get started, you will need these household items: two sets of two bowls (one set smaller than the other), frozen shot glass molds, a frying pan, heat source, a spray bottle, and a bong stem or tin foil.Step 1: Prep the frozen components.
- Fill the two larger bowls with water, leaving enough room for the smaller bowls to fit inside. Add the two smaller bowls to create a hollow center for the bong.
- Use the tape (or whatever you can find to hold the smaller empty bowls in place) to secure the small bowls in the center.
- Fill the shot glass molds until they create hollow pieces for the neck, but not so full that they fill up the ‘bottom’ of the shot glass.
- Freeze your contraptions.
- Heat up the frying pan (not too hot--just enough to melt the ice on contact).
- Take the ‘neck’ pieces and place them on the pan to flatten the ends.
- Press the flattened ends together for a few seconds until they stick together, then place it back in the freezer.
- Remove the bowls from the frozen base (which may require running some water over it).
- Repeat the flattening procedure from assembling the neck.
- Press the two pieces together and smooth the edges to create a solid sphere.
- Put it back in the freezer.
- Heat up the end of the screwdriver (a knife would work okay here) and slowly create a hole in the top of the base. Repeat this on the side of the base at an angle for the stem/bowl.
- Be careful to go slowly. You don’t want to break your delicate creation!
- Fuse the neck to the base over the hole you created. Use the spray bottle to smooth edges and fill gaps where needed (and refreeze).
- Insert your stem or create one with a bit of foil and voila!
A creative way to smoke with household items is to create a gravity bong. This process feels more like a high school science experiment than a proper way to smoke cannabis, but it definitely works as long as you follow these simple steps.
Step 1: Gather your supplies.
- You will need a bowl or some sort of large drink container, a plastic bottle, and some foil.
- Cut the bottom of the plastic bottle off and discard it. Remove the cap, but keep it.
Step 2: Create the bowl.
- Punch a hole in the bottle cap with whatever you have available (screwdriver, knife, scissors, etc) until it’s about pinky-sized.
- Make a bowl with the foil, large enough to fit in the cap, and wrap the edges around the cap to create a smooth surface.
- Poke small holes in the foil to allow the smoke to pass through
Step 3: Create the bong.
- Fill the larger container about halfway with water, but not too much to get messy.
- Reattach the cap to the smaller plastic bottle and fill the bowl with flower.
Step 4: Make science!
- Light the flower while slowly pulling the bottle up, but not so far to remove it from the water. The motion will create a vacuum effect and fill the bottle with smoke.
- Carefully unscrew the cap to inhale.
This easy way to smoke with household items will make it easy to recycle and educate your friends on the science of air pressure, all in one smooth hit.
Aluminum Can Pipe
If you’re feeling desperate and only have some aluminum cans lying around, this stoner classic will never fail. Although there is some debate on the safety of smoking with aluminum, as long as you aren’t completely torching the metal, you should be fine. Plus, if you get to this point, chances are you’re more interested in getting elevated than taking care of your lungs. Just sayin’.
There you have it! These are the best ways to smoke (or consume) with household items. Smoke safely, friends!