Potent is powered by Vocal.
Vocal is a platform that provides storytelling tools and engaged communities for writers, musicians, filmmakers, podcasters, and other creators to get discovered and fund their creativity.
How does Vocal work?
Creators share their stories on Vocal’s communities. In return, creators earn money when they are tipped and when their stories are read.
How do I join Vocal?
Vocal welcomes creators of all shapes and sizes. Join for free and start creating.
To learn more about Vocal, visit our resources.Show less
So you want to learn how to make a homemade bong? Homemade bongs are growing in popularity because they are cheap, and if you are clever and creative, you can make aesthetically pleasing bongs as well. No hassling or spending huge amount of money, just creativity is all you require. Even if you already own one and are perfectly happy with your current piece, there is no harm in trying to create one since no two bongs are the same. That is why it is important to learn how to make a homemade bong.
But before you embark on the mission of making one, the first question you should ask yourself is what will you use the bong for? That is, are you going to use the bong once or several times a week? Are you going to use it alone or use it with your friends? Are you going to take it with you when you travel? All these are factors that you need to consider when deciding the kind of bong you are going to make.
Depending on your lung capacity, the type of materials available, how often you will use the bong, and other mitigating factors, there are many types of homemade bong you can make. In this article, we’ll look at four of the more common tutorials of how to make a homemade bong.
How to Make a Homemade Bong Out of a Plastic Bottle
Homemade bottle bongs are the most common because they are easy to make and the materials are readily available.
Tools you’ll need:
- Empty bottle, preferably a 2-liter bottle
- Paper clip
- Make a small hole on the side of the bottle by heating the paper clip with a lighter. The hole should be between 3 mm and 6 mm wide and 2" from the bottom.
- Attach the tube to the hole you have made. The tube can be in the form of a hollow pen tube, a metallic tube, a drinking straw, or even a glass tube that you bought from a local store or online. Once you have placed the tube, you must make sure that it is airtight. If it is not airtight, you will lose a lot of smoke to the environment, thereby reducing the efficiency of your homemade water bottle bong. You can seal spaces between the tube and the hole using gum, tape, or some adhesive. For the best results, use gum.
- Join a bowl with the end of the tube. You can purchase an inexpensive glass bowl from your local smoke shop for a couple of dollars or make an improvised one. After attaching the bowl to the tube, you can roll a cigarette with rolling materials and attach it to the tube. Just make sure that the rolling materials you are using are safe for inhaling.
- Fill the bong with water until the tube is submerged in water at least half-way. There is no harm in filling it with more water, but make sure that you don’t put too much water in the bong as this can interfere with the efficiency of the bong. Moreover, there is the risk of your herb drowning if you fill it with too much water.
- Place a carb—also known as ‘clearing hole’ about halfway down the bottle. However, make sure the carb is not any lower in order to avoid spilling whenever you are smoking.
- Place your weed in the bowl and cover the carb with your finger. Once you ensure everything is firmly in place, light the bowl while sucking. Suck in hard then release the carb.
Congratulations! You have just succeeded in learning how to make a homemade bong from a water bottle. It is so simple anyone can do it.
How to Make a Homemade Bong Out of a Soda Can
If the plastic bottle doesn’t sound cool, you can also make a homemade bong from a soda can. The process is very similar to one used to make a water bottle bong except that you need smaller holes and thinner tube this time around. Also, don’t forget to use lots of tape or gum because the soda can can hardly stay airtight without experiencing further tears if you fail to seal the hole very well.
Tools you’ll need:
- Empty soda can
- Paper clip
Follow the steps for the water bottle bong, substituting the can for the water bottle.
How to Make a Homemade Condom Bong
This sound quite interesting, doesn’t it? Actually this is really a neat idea if you want to add a unique quality to your bong.
Tools you’ll need:
- An empty plastic bottle, preferably 2-liter bottle
- A piece of condom
- Paper clip
- Fill the bottle halfway with water.
- Get a piece of a brand new condom and unroll it. Cut off the tip and wrap the condom around the half-filled bottle of water. Make sure it is stretched to the level of the water. The other end of the condom should be flipped over the rim of the bottle.
- Use foil to make a bowl. Place the bowl over the condom, at the top of the bottle.
- Use a needle to poke holes in the tin foil (the bowl).
- Using a lighter and pin, hit the pin and make two holes on either side of the bottle. One of the holes will be the carb.
- Take a tube such as a pen tube and insert it into the lower hole. Make sure that the tube doesn’t go into the water. Your tube and the bottle should be airtight. Use gum or glue to ensure that it is airtight.
- Put some weed in the bowl piece, cover the carb with one finger, and light your herb. Suck it hard to make the smoke go down the condom into the water and out when the bottle gets filled with smoke.
- Now let go of the carb and inhale.
As you can see, the process of making a homemade bong is fairly simple and straightforward. The concept is the same irrespective of the materials you are using to make your homemade bong. However, there is one type of homemade bong that works differently. That is the gravity bong.
How to Make a Homemade Gravity Bottle Bong
Making a gravity bong is easy and fun. Anyone who claims to know how to make a homemade bong without knowing how to make a gravity bong has not learned anything about homemade bongs.
Tools you’ll need:
- 2 bottles: 2-liter bottle and another smaller plastic bottle
- Knife or scissors
- A tool for making a hole
- Aluminum foil
- Take the cap of the plastic bottle and make a hole using a needle, a pen, or a knife. Widen the hole using a knife or a metallic tube to accommodate your smoking preference.
- Take a piece of aluminum foil and use your finger to mold it into a circle that will fit into your bowl (the hole you made in the cap). It should fit in perfectly.
- Place the molded aluminum foil into the bowl and rub it evenly for perfect appearance. Now prick some holes into the bowl. The holes should not be too big or too many. About two to five holes are fine. If you make too many holes, your bowl will break. On the other hand, if you make very small or very few holes, you will not get enough smoke into the bottle.
- Now take the larger bottle and cut it into two.
- Fill the bottom part of the bottle with water.
- Put that aside and take the smaller bottle and also cut it into two. Take the upper part with the cap and replace the cap with the aluminum bowl.
- Take some herb and place it in the bowl. Light it while pulling up the bottle slowly.
- When the bottle is filled with smoke, remove the bowl and inhale the smoke.
There are a thousand and one ways to make a homemade bong using local materials, ranging from fruits to used bottles. The only limit when it comes to how to make a homemade bong is your creativity and willingness to explore. Many people actually prefer homemade bongs because they offer personalized smoking options for those who make them. Most importantly, homemade bongs are much cheaper than readymade ones from the stores. Whatever the case, homemade bongs are great. Whether you want to make your bong from a pineapple, a 20-liter drum, or a mug, it is up to you. There is no harm in trying.